General System Deployment
Goal: collect all the information necessary to deploy VMs into the production environment.
We are deploying each application into it's own area. The area consists of:
- Logical separation within the vSphere Client.
- Specifically assigned VLAN.
- Each guest will have a DNS name associated with it's primary application.
- Each guest will have a common IP address pertaining to it's intended function.
- Each guest within an area will utilize resources provided by that specific area's resources.
- A guest will NOT use resources provided by other areas.
Logical Separation within vSphere
To create a logical separation, utilize resource groups under "Production". These will inherit the properties of "Production", but also provide a "folder" to put VMs into specific to the application.
The following VLANs will be assigned to the Applications:
|VLAN||Associated Application||Associated IP Address|
We will have six sets of IP addresses for various locations:
Each location will have applications use common IP numbering in the following list:
|IP Address Range||Associated Application|
|10.3.X.1-10||Router, Switches, Networking|
|10.3.X.11-20||DNS, NIS, Authentication|
|10.3.X.21-30||NFS, GFS, Other Served File Systems|
|10.3.X.31-40||Mail (specific to application)|
|10.3.X.51-60||Nagios, Syslog, Netflow, Other Monitoring|
|10.3.X.100-149||Web and Application Servers|
|10.3.X.150-169||MySQL, Other Database Servers|
|10.3.X.170-189||Batch, Edit, Gimp, Image, Other Application Specific|